- This event has passed.
The 13th Teaching and Learning Corpora (TALC) Conference
July 18, 2018 - July 21, 2018
The 13th Teaching and Learning Corpora (TALC) Conference will be hosted by the Faculty of Education, University of Cambridge between 18-21 July 2018.
Call for Papers
We accept proposals for paper presentations, software demonstrations, posters, short 7/14 presentations and workshops.
Paper presentations will consist of a 20-minute talk followed by 5-6 minutes for questions and discussion and 4-5 minutes to change rooms. Papers reporting on empirical research should represent either completed work, or work in progress where some results can be reported. Presentations that take the form of a software demonstration are also welcome. 7/14 presentations (PechaKucha style) on the topic “Integrating corpus data in classrooms and language learning activities” will consist on a rapid-fire showcase of ideas, innovations, and theories where speakers have a 7-minute time limit for
their “talk” utilizing a deck of no more than 14 slides.
Topics that are within the scope of TaLC include, but are not necessarily limited to, corpus- based approaches to language learning, teaching and assessment in the following areas:
- Teaching first and second languages (including data-driven learning materials and student-centered linguistic investigation)
- Research on second language acquisition and learner corpus research
- Learner language
- Teaching languages for specific purposes
- Using corpora across the curriculum, from primary education to HE
- Teaching interpreting and translation with corpora
- Teaching literature, culture and history with corpora
- Teaching intercultural communication and corpora
- Developing pedagogic grammars and learner dictionaries
- Developing corpora/tools/resources for language learning and teaching
- Teacher education and language corpora
- Teaching of corpus methods to students and researchers in linguistics (and other areas of inquiry)
- Mobile language learning/teaching and corpora
We request abstracts of 500 words (not counting the reference list) for paper presentations. Submissions for poster presentations and the 7/14 presentations may be shorter (300-500 words not counting references). Generally, we suggest submitting an abstract for a poster rather than a paper presentation for (a) reports on research in its very early phases with no intermediate or final results to report or (b) reports on new corpus data resources.
There will also be pre-conference workshops on 18 July. If you are interested in organising one of the workshops, please contact the organisers with a brief proposal and proposed timeline (morning, afternoon or all-day workshop). Once the conference website indicates that the maximum number of workshops has been reached, no further proposals can be accommodated.
If you have any questions about submitting abstracts or the conference in general, please do not hesitate to contact us at email@example.com
Abstract submission opened on 1 November 2017.
Abstracts should be submitted through TALC’s online submission system:
The deadline for abstract submission is 15 January 2018.
Confirmed plenary speakers
Guy Aston, University of Bologna
Alex Boulton, Université de Lorraine
Sandra Götz, Justus-Liebig-Universitat-Giessen
Susan Hunston,University of Birmingham
Anne O´Keeffe, Mary Immaculate College